Women’s imaging, including obstetrics
SAMI provides specialist obstetric and gynaecological radiology and ultrasound services to diagnose and treat maternity and gynaecological issues in women.
When pregnant, our service can provide you with standard ultrasound scans throughout your pregnancy, as well as assist in the diagnosis and monitoring of fetal and newborn disorders. Examinations include:
- Dating / Viability (early pregnancy scans to estimate the age of the pregnancy and to check for baby’s heart beat)
- Nuchal Translucency Scan (at around 12 weeks, and to measure the ‘skin fold’ at the back of the baby’s neck. The results of a nuchal translucency scan combined with a blood test may tell you if your baby is at an increased risk of chromosomal abnormalities).
- Morphology 17-22 weeks (routine scan to check if the baby is developing normally)
- 3rd trimester Growth / Dopplers (check to see if baby growing normally towards the end of pregnancy in high risk pregnancies)
- High risk obstetric Imaging (Ultrasound for patients at high risk or with known baby abnormalities. This may include the use of MRI to help with diagnosis)
Maternity – relating to pregnant women or women at the time of childbirth
Gynaecology - deals with the functions and diseases specific to women and girls, especially those affecting the reproductive system.
Obstetrics - the field of study concentrated on pregnancy, childbirth, and the immediate post birth period.
Women’s obstetrics imaging is available at the following sites:
- Flinders Medical Centre
- Lyell McEwin Hospital
- The Queen Elizabeth Hospital
- QE Specialist Centre (opposite TQEH)
- Repatriation Health Precinct
- Women’s and Children’s Hospital
- Country Sites
Women’s gynaecological imaging is available at all of our SAMI sites.