Occupational therapy at NALHN
NALHN occupational therapy service promote health and wellbeing, independence and productivity by focusing on restoring function following an injury or illness, social or emotional difficulties, development delay or the effects of aging for patients.
Our Occupational Therapists provide a range of services to create and coordinate care and discharge plans to facilitate transition to the home, community and other health programs.
Services are provided to hospital patients and outpatients who require occupational therapy services that are not available in the community.
Services for hospital patients include:
- assessment of pre-level of function, environmental considerations and existing support services
- advise on interventions to improve function, reduce risk of further deterioration
- education and self-management strategies
- assessment of cognition and recommendations for patients with cognitive impairment
- advise on appropriate equipment and home safety modifications to support independence and safe discharge.
Services for outpatients include:
- assessment and treatment for the loss of upper limb function following surgery
- assessment and treatment of children with developmental delay associated with prematurity, nervous system disorders, trauma or multiple medical problems
- follow-up on children with a gestational age of 32 weeks or less and/or a low birth weight.
NALHN Allied Health Division
Telephone: (08) 8182 9288
Fax: (08) 8182 9440