General information on blood, organ and tissue (including donation and disorders)
The BloodSafe program is a blood transfusion safety and quality improvement collaborative between SA Health, the Australian Red Cross Blood Service, SA public and private hospitals and their transfusion service providers.
BloodSafe is sponsored by the South Australian Department for Health and Wellbeing. Our mission is to coordinate a safety and quality framework for all steps of blood transfusion practice to improve patient outcomes and ensure sufficiency of blood supply.
- Anaemia management - managing patients with anaemia and iron deficiency anaemia.
- Blood Inventory and product and fridge registers - blood fridge register/log book sheets for recording quality assurance and maintenance of blood fridges and an inventory app.
- Blood utilisation studies - SA blood utilisation studies database which utilises linked hospital and pathology data. Enables analysis of aggregate blood product use across the South Australian public health sector for all fresh products.
- Contacts - Contact details for BloodSafe clinical leads, transfusion nurses, BloodMove and SA Health.
- Education and training - BloodSafe eLearning Australia online courses.
- Quick Reference Guide – transition to ISBT 128 donor numbers on blood packs
- Guidelines and standards - Standard 7: Blood and Blood Products and the National Clinical Practice Guidelines
- Patient blood management - evidence-based medical and surgical practices for preventing anaemia and decreasing bleeding.
- Transfusion practice - consent, prescribing and administration of blood and blood components, paediatric transfusion information kit and red cell usage resources.
- Blood transfusions - consent for transfusion, immunoglobulin infusion and a paediatric information kit with resources for children and parents.
- Iron disorders and iron therapy - iron deficiency and iron overload, as well as treatment options. Selected brochures available in 10 languages.
BloodSafe clinical lead contacts
Dr Kathryn Robinson, BloodSafe Medical Advisor
Telephone: (08) 8422 1278
Amanda Catherwood, Patient Blood Management
Telephone: (08) 8463 3411
Nicolle Ginman, Statewide Nurse Consultant, Immunoglobulin Programme
Telephone: 0435 963 374
Transfusion nurse contacts
Lyell McEwin & Modbury Hospital
Telephone: 0409 116 207
Flinders Medical Centre & Noarlunga Hospital
Telephone: (08) 8204 4734
Transfusion Nurse Consultant - SA Private Hospitals
Telephone: (08) 8112 1305
The Queen Elizabeth Hospital
Telephone: (08) 8222 7814
Royal Adelaide Hospital
Telephone:(08) 7074 4783
Women’s and Children’s Hospital
Telephone: (08) 8161 8387
Kristen Bull, Nurse Manager BloodMove, Country Health SA
Telephone: 0438 023 720
Rick Tocchetti, BloodMove Medical Scientist
Telephone: (08) 8204 1443
Cathie Gore, BloodMove Medical Scientist
Telephone: (08) 8226 6113
SA Health contacts
Blood, Organ and Tissue Programs Unit
Address: Citi Centre Building, Level 8, 11 Hindmarsh Square, Adelaide South Australia 5000
Postal: PO Box 287, Rundle Mall, SA 5000, Australia
Telephone: (08) 8463 6197
Fax: (08) 8463 5540
BloodSafe eLearning Australia
Please visit the BloodSafe eLearning Australia Program website for contact details.
Australian Red Cross Lifeblood
Medical Services Team for specialist advice and customer service
Refer to Lifeblood’s contact page for health professionals