Reporting an exposure to rabies or Australian bat lyssavirus

What needs to be reported?

People who come into contact with any bat in Australia or overseas, and people who come into contact with any mammal (especially dogs, cats and monkeys) in a country where there is a rabies virus risk. 

Reports of exposure should be made prior to commencing any treatment with rabies immunoglobulin or rabies vaccine, as soon as possible.

Why you need to report an exposure

Reporting is required to develop an individual treatment plan, which is based on the type of exposure, previously received rabies vaccines, and treatments that may have been administered overseas at the time of the exposure. 

Post exposure treatment is free and coordinated through SA Health.

Who can report exposures?

Anyone can report an exposure to SA Health, for the development of a post exposure treatment plan.

How to report to SA Health

Reports of an exposure can be made by:

Before submitting a report during business hours, ensure you phone the Immunisation Section and advise that a report has been completed. This will ensure urgent action is taken and treatment can commence immediately.

*Business hours are Monday to Friday, 8.30 am to 5.00 pm - excluding public holidays

Rabies immunoglobulin

Imogam® Rabies Pasteurised (Human Rabies Immunoglobulin), is the only HRIG registered with the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) in Australia. The Australian Government has sourced an alternate HRIG product (KamRAB® Rabies Immune Globulin (Human)), which is not yet licensed in Australia, when Imogam is unavailable. 

Further information

For more information on post exposure prophylaxis see the Rabies virus and other lyssavirus for health professionals page.