Enrolled Nursing Cadetship
Applications for the program are open from Friday 5 November 2021 to Sunday 21 November 2021 — Job Number 775724
What does the program involve?
- Up to 18 months paid employment for two days per week as an Assistant in Nursing
- 18 months’ study of Diploma of Nursing HLT54115
- Two days paid employment and approximately 25 hours’ study per week equates to a full time commitment
- Combined employment and study provides excellent learning opportunities and to be part of a hospital environment.
Where will positions be located?
There will be a number of positions available under the next intake across rural and regional South Australia, including:
Barossa Hills Fleurieu Local Health Network
- Mount Pleasant/Gumeracha
Eyre and Far North Local Health Network
- Coober Pedy
- Streaky Bay
Flinders and Upper North Local Health Network
- Port Augusta
- Roxby Downs
Limestone Coast Local Health Network
Riverland Mallee Coorong Local Health Network
- Murray Bridge
Yorke and Northern Local Health Network
The location of positions for this program in Yorke and Northern Local Health Network will be negotiated with successful applicants.
Who can apply?
This program provides opportunities to study and work in rural and regional hospitals in South Australia. To be eligible, applicants are required to have applied and been offered a place to commence studying in February 2022, or currently studying and completed no more than two semesters, in the Diploma of Nursing at one of the following TAFE SA regional campuses:
- Mount Barker
- Mount Gambier
- Port Pirie
Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply through our targeted rolling application recruitment process. Job Ref: 750767.
The program is a special measure of targeted recruitment for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.
How do I apply?
To be considered for an EN Cadet position, applicants must have applied through SATAC to commence studying the Diploma of Nursing in February 2022, or currently studying and completed no more than two semesters, at a TAFE SA Regional campus. Only those who are offered and accepted a place with a TAFE SA regional campus will be eligible for a position under this program.
Assistant in Nursing-EN Cadet positions are advertised on SA Health Careers website - Job Number 775724.
You will need a resume, cover letter, contact details for two referees and evidence of your TAFE SA enrolment.
Steps you need to take if you have not already applied to study:
- Submit your SATAC application to study TAFE’s Diploma of Nursing at a regional campus (full time student). Find out more.
- Meet Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia’s English language skills registration standards.
- Demonstrate reading, writing and numeracy skills by undertaking the Core Skills Profile for Adults (CSPA). Further information
- Once completed, have an offer from TAFE SA to be accepted into the Diploma of Nursing.
The study mode enables you to complete theory components at home, in your own time.
Two days in a clinical environment provides you with assistance, support, better skills and understanding. This is also your clinical placement component of the course. At times you will be required to attend campus for practical learning and clinical skills assessments. This mode allows you to plan work and home life around study commitments.
Online learning is supported through online classrooms, email, phone contact, tutorials, video-conference sessions, tele-link sessions, discussion forums, chat groups, informal study groups, and the use of 3D interactive NurseSim.
You must maintain a consistent study pace of approximately 25 hours per week, pass required units and take responsibility for keeping up to date with any study plans as well as meeting all the conditions of your employment.
There is a compulsory 3-day orientation at a TAFE SA Campus. Manual Handling (one day) and Provide First Aid (one day) options may also be made available.
How much will it cost?
Course costs are the responsibility of the EN Cadet. For students eligible for South Australian Subsidised Training funding the approximate cost is $9,800-$10,916. This may vary depending on concessions, electives chosen, permanent residency/citizenship and any recognition of prior learning. Costs for full fee-paying students is approximately $29,376.
TAFE SA does not require full upfront payment - students can pay for one semester at a time, or unit by unit. VET Student Loans may be available - check eligibility.
TAFE SA provide a list of recommended texts - these will be discussed at orientation.
Cadets are responsible their own travel and accommodation arrangements and costs.
Is there support available?
SA Health provides workplace supervision and support, and contributes $1850 towards course fees for the final semester.
TAFE SA allocates students individual support from a contact lecturer and the opportunity to interact with facilitating lecturers across South Australia for specialised units of competence.
What do you gain?
When you complete this study, you will be a fully qualified Enrolled Nurse with multiple career opportunities.
What is expected of successful applicants?
- Maintain a consistent study pace of approximately 25 hours per week for the duration of the program, pass required units, take responsibility for keeping up to date with any study plans, and seek assistance as required.
- Undertake a range of assessment tasks including: short answer questions, multiple choice, case studies, scenarios, and essays, virtual simulations, clinical and practical experiences. The process, method and timing of assessments are explained at the beginning of your study.
- Meet pre-employment requirements by obtaining a satisfactory Criminal History Clearance.
- Be willing to meet Immunisation Guidelines for Health Care Workers in South Australia.
- Comply with all regional LHN policies and procedures including Mandatory Training and Performance Development and Review requirements.
Who can I contact if I need more information?
Rural Support Service
Phone: 0448 872 555
Enrolled Nursing TAFE SA
Phone: 7210 3872
Find your health career
in South Australia.
orBrowse all jobs