We bring the care to you.
Patients don’t always have to be in a physical hospital to receive the care they need. My Home Hospital is a public hospital-level service, that delivers medical care to people in the comfort and privacy of their own homes, including residential aged care and disability supported accommodation.
People may be eligible for My Home Hospital if they require treatment for:
- Infections requiring IV antibiotics (i.e. cellulitis, pneumonia, mastitis)
- Exacerbation of respiratory conditions
- Vascular thromboembolism (DVT and PE)
- Heart failure and chest pain
- Post-operative care
- Other conditions for which home based hospital care is safe and approriate.
Who provides My Home Hospital?
My Home Hospital is a Wellbeing SA service, delivered by a joint venture between Calvary and Medibank.
Wellbeing SA is a State Government agency with a long-term vision to create a balanced health and wellbeing system that supports improved physical, mental and social wellbeing for all South Australians. This includes supporting models for care in the community – such as My Home Hospital.
Calvary and Medibank are experienced healthcare and homecare organisations in South Australia. Calvary and Medibank formed a joint venture, which was selected by Wellbeing SA (via a competitive tender process) to provide My Home Hospital services to the South Australian community. My Home Hospital uses qualified medical, nursing and allied health professionals who are experienced at delivering hospital-level medical care in the community.
My Home Hospital is committed to:
- Patient choice – making your own choice about your healthcare is at the heart of My Home Hospital – the right care, in the right place, at the right time.
- Being patient-centred – you will be treated with dignity and respect and be consulted in decisions about your care.
- Holistic treatment – treating you as a whole person, and balancing your clinical, cultural and personal needs in a flexible, personalised approach.
- Coordinated care – bringing the healthcare services you need together, in an approach that is easy to access and values communication with you, your family and/or carer, and other healthcare providers.
- Safety and quality are the cornerstone objectives of the service we provide
How was My Home Hospital created?
Wellbeing SA are committed to co-design and working in partnership with people receiving care, their carers, loved ones and clinicians. Design and development of the My Home Hospital service has included an extensive series of workshops and interviews with the general community and people with lived experience of hospital care, to identify what is important when health care is delivered in a person’s home. This includes understanding the needs of older people, carers, people living with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, the LGBTQI+ community and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Details of this process and the outcomes of consultation can be found in the My Home Hospital Consumer Engagement Report (PDF 1MB) and in the My Home Hospital Start-up Co-Design Report (PDF 1MB).
We have also worked with nursing, medical and allied health professionals; general practice; aged care and disability service providers; advocacy groups and the Commonwealth Departments of Health and Social Services; the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission; and the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission to design, develop and continuously improve My Home Hospital.