Pest control licensing

Licensing of the pest control industry in South Australia ensures pest control operators have the required training in the use of pesticides to prevent harm to people, pets, native animals and the environment.

In South Australia, all pest control businesses, pest management technicians and aerial spray contractors must be licensed by Controlled Substances Licensing (CSL) in SA Health under the Controlled Substances Act 1984 and Controlled Substances (Pesticides) Regulations 2017.

The meaning of pest control terms

  • Pest control work means using a pesticide to kill, stupefy, repel, inhibit the feeding of, or modify the physiology of a pest, and includes handling a pesticide.
  • Pest control business means a business where pest control work is performed for another for fee or reward (e.g. payment in money or goods or services).
  • Pests includes insects, rodents, weeds, fungal and other pests.
  • Pesticides includes fumigants, fungicides, insecticides, rodenticides and herbicides.

Advice for consumers when engaging pest control businesses to undertake pest control work

Protect yourself and your family by only engaging licensed pest control businesses and pest management technicians for any pest control work needed around your home, property or business.

To find out more about your rights, what to look for, and how to find a licensed pest control business near you, visit Engaging a licensed pest control company and pest management technician. 

Possum control

Many companies offering pest control services also advertise/offer possum control. In South Australia, possums are protected under the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1972 and any person providing these services (whether commercial or non-profit) is required to hold a valid Wildlife Management (Controller) Permit.

To find out more visit Department for Environment and Water – manage control or destroy wildlife.

Guiding information for workers in the South Australian pest control industry

If you need to use pesticides as part of your job, you must either be licensed or hold a statement of exemption and follow all rules to protect people and the environment.

To find out more visit: