Information for parents, families and children about COVID-19
It is normal to be anxious during the COVID-19 pandemic and it is natural for children to pick up on our feelings and emotions. Children may need extra attention and reassurance, so it is important we let them know we’re looking after them and make ourselves available as much as possible.
This page provides a range of resources for parents, carers and children about COVID-19.
Information for younger children
- Coronavirus booklet for children (PDF 925KB) (story book for young children about coronavirus)
- My hero is you (story book for ages 6 – 11 about coronavirus)
Information for older children
- Physical distancing - measure 1.5 metres (PDF 83KB)
- Professor Spurrier's Guide to Staying COVID Safe (PDF 441KB)
Parent and carer information
- What if my child contracts COVID-19? (COVIDKIDS - Women’s and Children’s Hospital)
- Department for Education (latest information for schools and childcare)
- COVID-19: an online safety kit for parents and carers (eSafety Commissioner)
- COVID-19: Protecting children from online abuse (eSafety Commissioner)
- Pregnancy and COVID-19
- Wash, Wipe, Cover and Stop the Spread resources.
Testing children for COVID-19
Children should be tested for coronavirus if as soon as symptoms appear, even if mild.
For more information on when you should take your child for testing and what happens next download the poster:
Mental health services and support for children
Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service
The Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) is a free community-based mental health service provided through SA Health's Women's and Children's Health Network. CAMHS provide mental health services to infants, children, adolescents and perinatal women across South Australia.
Kids Helpline is a free, private and confidential 24/7 phone and online counselling service for young people aged 5 to 25 as well as parents.
Headspace helps young Australians between 12 to 25 years of age with mental health, physical health, and managing work and study.