Clinical Placement Agreements

To place any student at SA Health site(s) all education and training providers are required to have a current Clinical Placement Agreement (Agreement) with South Australia. The Agreement provides an overarching legal framework for Education and Training Providers to request clinical placements in SA Health facilities and sets out the obligations for both parties. The Agreements are inclusive of all professional entry level health professionals. They have been developed with consultation and feedback with education and training providers, and replace the Clinical Placement Deeds that were previously in place. As part of the Agreement education and training providers have a responsibility to ensure that students comply with all SA Health’s pre-placement requirements.

Please note that there is a high demand for placements in South Australia and an Agreement is not a guarantee of placements. The Institution must have agreement with a Host site to take their students on placement prior to requesting placements through Placeright™. The Better Placed Office will arrange for an Agreement to be executed once a Host site has agreed to take students on placement and informs the Better Placed Office. Please direct any queries on Clinical Placement Agreements to

Education and training providers

The following education and training providers currently have Clinical Placement Agreements in place with SA Health:

  • Aboriginal Health Council of SA
  • Adelaide Training & Employment Centre
  • Alffie (Training Online Australia Pty Ltd) 
  • Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation
  • Australian Paramedical College
  • Central Queensland University
  • Charles Darwin University
  • Charles Sturt University
  • Curtin University
  • Deakin University
  • Edith Cowan University
  • Education Training and Employment Australia
  • EQUALS International
  • Federation University Australia
  • Flinders University
  • Griffith University
  • Hope Education
  • James Cook University
  • La Trobe University
  • MADEC Australia
  • Macquarie University
  • National College Australia
  • Open Colleges School of Health (Adelaide)
  • Open Colleges Pty Limited
  • Queensland University of Technology
  • Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
  • SMP Training
  • Southern Cross Education Institute
  • Southern Cross University
  • Think Education
  • Time Education & Training
  • University of Adelaide
  • University of Melbourne
  • University of New England
  • University of South Australia
  • University of Tasmania
  • University of Technology Sydney
  • Western Sydney University.

Please note that it is the responsibility of the health site to liaise with the education and training provider around administrative details of the placements, such as site orientation, shifts, etc. This can only occur once an Agreement has been executed.

The Agreement does not cover current staff from other organisations who wish to upgrade their skills or gain experience in a specific clinical field (with the exception of Defence Personnel who are covered by a current Clinical Placement Program Deed with SA Health) and who are not enrolled through an education and training provider. In this case you will need to contact the appropriate Local Health Network for further information to arrange this.

Clinical Placement Deed Poll

All students and non-SA Health staff attending clinical placements at SA Health sites need to keep a copy of the signed SA Health Clinical Placement Deed Poll. This must be signed by the student, as well as any education provider staff members who attend SA Health sites and who are not current SA Health employees. As a legal document this must also be signed by a witness who is an adult (18 years of age or older). Students must complete and sign the Deed Poll (PDF 249KB) and provide a copy to SA Health staff when requested.

Clinical Placement Request Form 

This form should be used when new contractual arrangements are made between an education provider and an SA Health site, for example supervision of students by education provider staff or reimbursement of SA Health staff providing services for the education provider. The Clinical Placement Request Form (PDF 139KB) should be signed by both parties and a copy kept by each.

If a word version of the Clinical Placement Request Form is required, please contact the Better Placed Clinical Placement Team.