Media and communications at SALHN
The Media and Communications team provides our community with information about the latest in medical research, hospital services and activities, and important health information for the public.
They are also responsible for Social Media for the Network.
SA Health Media Line – (08) 8226 6488
The Media Unit coordinates responses to media enquiries for SA Health, including the Department for Health and Ageing and for the five Local Health Networks. It provides staff involved in proactive media opportunities with advice, support and training.
The SA Health Media Line is staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Media and Communications
Flinders Medical Centre
South Australia 5042
Information for the media
The Southern Adelaide Local Health Network (SALHN) respects patient privacy and all staff members are required to maintain patient confidentiality. Patient information can only be released if consent has been given by the patient (or family representative).
SA Health Care Act 2008 - Section 93 (confidentiality and disclosure of information) SA Mental Health Act 2009 - Section 106 (confidentiality and disclosure of information)
Media access to the hospital
The media can enter the hospital once they receive permission from the Media Unit (or the after-hours nursing coordinator if permission is sought after business hours). One of the media staff can provide further direction or escort people to relevant areas.
Filming ambulance arrivals, helicopter retrieval and patient transfers to the Emergency Department is appropriate when the following requirements are followed:
The patient is our priority. The media is asked to:
- not obstruct access or enter the Emergency Department
- not interfere with patient care
- respect patient privacy. Do not film close-up shots of patients’ faces or their family.
- use the car park roof. Media cars that are parked on the emergency deck may interfere with patient and ambulance activities.
- not interfere with retrieval. The media is restricted from accessing the helipad; this includes individuals and also media helicopters.