General Practice Liaison Unit (GPLU) projects
The GPLU has been involved in the following initiatives over the last 12 months
to develop links with local GPs in the north:
Inca Implementation project (formally CDMnet)
- Two thousand one hundred and forty seven (2147) Health Care Home (HCH) patients allocated to team care arrangement with Lyell McEwin Hospital Chronic Disease Management Unit; nine hundred and four (904) patients across six (6) practices in NALHN catchment.
- Alerts added to notify key NALHN staff when HCH patients present to the emergency department or are admitted.
- Tracking of HCH patients and analysing presentation changes for this cohort of patients, including Inca access for key staff across multiple NALHN sites for duration of HCH trial – 30th June 2021. Access sites include Medical Wards, Chronic Disease Management Unit, Allied Health and Emergency Departments.
GP referral quality audit
- 179 referrals audited May – June 2020.
- An increase in statewide referral completion and improved clinical referral quality was seen from the previous audit.
- Audit findings will be used to support Outpatient redesign in 2020-2021. NALHN GPLU will be a participant of the NALHN OPD redesign committee engaging with members of executive and project leads.
GP Education Sessions
- QI & CPD accredited education sessions run by NALHN clinicians.
- Orthopaedic and Oncology sessions completed in 2019.
- 90% satisfaction across all participants achieved in both sessions.
- Ongoing education sessions temporarily on hold due to COVID-19.
Clinical Communication – Separation Summaries
- Root cause analysis and targeted quality improvement projects towards improving separation summary delivery to GPs.
- Presentation to Communicating for Safety Standard Committee advocating for an improvement in meeting clinical handover requirements to GPs.
- Liaising with Patient Safety and Quality and Patient Information and Administration Services to update NALHN policies and procedures to ensure correct GP details are captured.
- Advocacy for improved medical IT innovation, including GP access to NALHN Hospital Electronic Medical Record (EMR).
- Participation in Secure Messaging Delivery (SMD) Project.
- Meeting with Queensland (QLD) Health and QLD Director of Healthcare Improvement Unit to gain learning’s of public health IT innovation and GP engagement.
Priority Care Centres
- Support provided to staff in Northern Priority Care Centres.
- Development and implementation of direct admission pathway where transfer to hospital was required for higher level care.