Be active resources
On this page you’ll find a collection of resources on being active and walking yourself happy.
- Walk yourself happy - Getting started booklet (PDF 1MB)
- 40 Great South Australian Walks – this book has 40 walking maps from all over South Australia
- South Australian Trails – information about walking trails in South Australia
- Local councils – contact your local council via the local government finder to enquire about walking groups or trails in your area
- Heart Foundation walking groups – enter your postcode to find a walking group in your area
- Walking SA – information about walking groups in South Australia
- A range of cycling and walking maps are available from the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure.
Physical activity guidelines
- National Physical Activity Recommendations for Children 0-5 years
- Australian 24-Hour Movement Guidelines for Children and Young People (5-17 years)
- Australia’s Physical Activity and Sedentary Behaviour Guidelines for Adults (18-64 years)
- Choose Health: Be Active – A physical activity guide for older Australians
- Make Your Move – Sit Less – Be active for life! - A resource for families
Determine how "walkable" your community is
A walkable community is one that makes it safe, easy and more enjoyable for residents to walk in their neighbourhoods. Some features of these healthy, liveable, walkable communities include:
- well-connected streets
- safe crossings
- safe footpaths
- traffic calming
- tree-lined streets
- easy access to public transport and destinations that can be reached by all pedestrians.