Regional mental health services
South Australians living in regional areas have access to a range of specialist mental health services in SA (PDF 77KB), including:
Acute inpatient mental health services
We have a 23 bed Rural and Remote Mental Health Service based at Glenside Health Service Campus and three Integrated Mental Health Inpatient Units at Mount Gambier, Whyalla and Berri.
Community mental health services
Our community mental health services are provided by 13 community mental health teams across regional South Australia, including an Intensive Community Program at Whyalla, Mount Gambier and Murray Bridge.
Youth and older persons’ mental health services
We offer youth mental health services for people aged 16-24 and older persons’ mental health services for people aged 65+.
Tele-psychiatry is provided to country South Australians through more than 220 video conferencing units across the Digital Telehealth Network. Contact the telemedicine/tele-psychiatry unit on (08) 7087 1660.
We have a country-wide community rehabilitation service based at Whyalla.
Our other recovery-focused supports and services include:
- treatment and rehabilitation for people with serious and severe mental health issues
- information to assist people to make informed decisions about their treatment
- professional, respectful and inclusive assessment of need and treatment
- coordinated care with consumers, carers and family and other service providers
- liaison and coordination of treatment with general practitioners and psychiatrists
- connection with services, for example, Aboriginal health, aged care, youth services and other mental health support services
- spiritually and culturally appropriate support
- access to interpreters when needed.
SA Health Awards 2018 — Supporting Mental Health Consumers through Intensive Community Program
If you feel that you may be in need of mental health support and have never accessed a mental health service before, have a chat with your GP.
If you require urgent mental health assistance, please call the mental health triage service (the Rural and Remote Distance Consultation and Emergency Triage and Liaison Service) 24 hours a day, seven days a week on 13 14 65.
Our regional local health networks are funded by the State Government to provide mental health services in hospitals and in the community for people with serious and/or severe mental health conditions.
Rural and Remote Mental Health Service
- Senior Manager, Acute Services/Director of Nursing — (08) 7425 6100
- Senior Manager, Community and State-wide Services — (08) 7425 6100
Limestone Coast LHN
- Director Mental Health — (08) 8721 1507
Eyre and Far North LHN
- Director Mental Health — (08) 8683 2083
Yorke and Northern LHN
- Director Mental Health — (08) 8841 3500
Riverland Mallee Coorong LHN
- Director Mental Health — (08) 8580 2500 (Riverland) and (08) 8535 6800 (Murray Mallee)
Flinders and Upper North LHN
- Director Mental Health — (08) 8644 5130
Accessing mental health services in country SA
South Australians living in regional areas have access to a range of mental health services, close to home. Find out how you, or your loved ones, can find support.