Mental health services in South Australia. A directory of where to get mental health help: crisis, counselling, support, advocacy and complaint services.
SA Health: Your official portal to public health services, hospitals, health information and health careers in South Australia
Non-government mental health partnerships
The non-government organisation (NGO) community mental health sector is a major provider of services that assist people with a mental illness to live a fulfilling community life. There are several program areas including:
- information, mutual support, self help and advocacy
- vocational and educational
- individual and group psychosocial rehabilitation and support
- housing and support options
- respite, family and carer services.
Services with NGO partnerships
Partnerships with the NGO sector expand the capacity within the public mental health system to provide more services to people in need of assistance. Services include:
- Individual Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Support Services (IPRSS) – a partnership program providing one-on-one rehabilitation and support services in a person’s home and local community.
- Psychosocial rehabilitation day and group programs – a variety of programs aimed at increasing self management, interpersonal, recreational and daily living skills.
- Mutual support and self help programs – consumer driven programs for sharing experience and to encourage people to work with others to attain improved mental health.
- Employment and pre-vocational support services – a partnership program to assist consumers with training and entering paid employment.
- Carer support and respite services – a variety of services such as support groups, education, counselling and advocacy aimed at assisting carers of a person with mental illness.
The Mental Health Coalition of SA is the peak body for non-government mental health sector. Find out about their members.
The Mental Health Coalition of SA
Address: 1/80 Brougham Place, North Adelaide, SA 5006
Telephone: (08) 8212 8873
SA Health has formal partnerships with the following NGOs:
- Anglicare SA
- Baptist Care (SA) Inc.
- Beyond Blue: National Depression Initiative
- Carers SA
- Carers Link Barossa and Districts
- Catherine House
- Centacare Catholic Family Services
- Clubhouse SA
- General Practice SA – GP Shared Care
- Grow SA
- Mind Australia
- Helping Hand Aged Care
- Life Without Barriers
- Mental Health Coalition of SA Inc.
- Mental Health Council of Australia
- Skylight Mental Health
- Neami National
- Relationships Australia SA
- Survivors of Torture and Trauma Assistance Rehabilitation Services
- Uniting Care Wesley Adelaide
- Uniting Care Wesley Bowden