Freedom of information
The Freedom of Information Act 1991 gives members of the public a legally enforceable right to access information held by the South Australian Government, subject to certain conditions.
SA Health's agencies
Each of SA Health’s agencies operates separately for the purposes of Freedom of Information (FOI) legislation. For specific information, relating to these separate agencies, including contact information and publically available FOIs, please see the following agency pages:
- Barossa Hills Fleurieu Local Health Network
- Central Adelaide Local Health Network – includes Royal Adelaide Hospital, The Queen Elizabeth Hospital and Glenside Campus
- Department for Health and Wellbeing
- Drug and Alcohol Services South Australia
Eyre and Far North Local Health Network
- Flinders and Upper North Local Health Network
- Limestone Coast Local Health Network
- Northern Adelaide Local Health Network – includes Lyell McEwin Hospital and Modbury Hospital
- Riverland Mallee Coorong Local Health Network
- SA Ambulance Service
- SA Dental Services — includes the Adelaide Dental Hospital and all metropolitan and regional SA Dental Clinics
- Southern Adelaide Local Health Network – includes Flinders Medical Centre and Noarlunga Hospital
- Women’s and Children’s Health Network – includes the Women’s and Children’s Hospital
- Yorke and Northern Local Health Network
Where to apply
Applications for access to documents must be made in writing and be lodged with the agency that holds the document. If you wish to access your personal medical records it is most likely that this information is held at a public hospital or health service in one of the Local Health Networks above.
For contact details, see the above listed agency FOI pages.
How to apply
When making an FOI application, you will need to provide enough information to enable the correct documents to be identified. If you are uncertain, it is recommended that you contact the relevant agency’s FOI Officer for assistance (see above for agencies specific pages).
Advice about how you would like to access the documents should be included in your FOI application.
See the relevant agency pages above for ways you can apply.
If you are seeking documents relating to your own personal affairs, you may be asked to provide proof of your identity. If you are seeking access to documents on behalf of another person relating to their personal affairs, you may be asked to provide written consent signed by that person.
There is a $39.00 FOI application fee that must be paid to the agency that holds the documents at the time you lodge your application. Contact the relevant agency for payment methods.
Processing charges may also be applicable. The agency will advise you of these charges once it receives your application and begins processing it.
If you are the holder of a current concession card, or if you can satisfy the agency that the payment of the fee or charge would cause financial hardship, the agency must waive or remit (reduce or refund) the application fee.
Ways documents can be accessed
Access to documents can be provided in different ways, depending on how the information is stored. The different ways you can access documents include:
- inspecting documents
- requesting a copy of documents
- hearing and viewing audio and video tapes.
- State Records of South Australia
- SA Health FOI Statement (PDF 318KB)
- Ombudsman SA Freedom of Information
- Freedom of Information Act 1991
Public FOIs requested in the past 12 months
Your rights to review and appeal 2021-2022 - May 2023
A4677417 Ashton Hurn MP Determination Letter - Mar 2023
Research terminology re sneaky virus COVID-19 research and scientific evidence - FOI2022-00031 - Aug 2022
COVID-19 Death criteria, Omicron, Delta Variant PCR testing - Documentation - FOI2022-00032 - Jul 2022
Draft suicide prevention bill 2021 - Documents of lodgements and submissions - FOI2022-00024 - Jun 2022
Communications between SA Health and H Rasheed re quarantine or COVID-19 Exemptions - FOI2021-00052 - Jun 2022
COVID-19 Deaths stratified by age, sex, vaccination status - communications - FOI2022-00012 - Jun 2022
Recording of COVID-19 deaths - FOI2022-00007 - Jun 2022
Contract between DHW and Sex Industry Network re Targeted STI and BBV Prevention and audits - FOI2021-00057 - Jun 2022
Department's procedures for considering cross-border exemption applications - FOI2020-00071 - May 2022
The Clinical Placement Agreement between SA and UofA incl policies, documents, etc - FOI2022-00004 - May 2022
DHW Chief Exec Documents, Ministerial briefings, etc re reimbursements, reconciliation claims - FOI2021-00083 - May 2022
Credit card statements held by EAs or PAs with the Office of the Chief Exec - FOI2021-00108 - May 2022
Applications approved for VIC cross-border exemptions external to criteria - FOI2020-00070 - May 2022
November Lockdown - FOI2021-00089 - May 2022
Directives or Documents referencing changes to resource allocation re FOI requests - FOI2020-00002 - May 2022