Your Rights and Responsibilities (English)
PDF 611 KB
The Queen Elizabeth Hospital (TQEH) has over 300 beds and provides a range of health services to the population of more than 250,000 people living in Adelaide’s western suburbs.
TQEH staff provide the highest-quality care to inpatients and outpatients, and pride themselves on being part of the community-focused hospital. The hospital is a centre for research with the world-class Basil Hetzel Institute, and through a partnership with UniSA, it is a training ground for the next generation of healthcare professionals.
Services at the TQEH include the emergency department, surgery, oncology, rehabilitation, dedicated mental health facilities including for older people, pain management, palliative care, cardiology and more.
The hospital was named by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on 24 March 1954 by special proclamation, and officially opened by Her Majesty the Queen Mother when she visited TQEH on 5 March 1958.
In addition to the hospital’s main campus in Woodville, the hospital also operates the St Margaret’s Hospital in Semaphore.
Data on our key performance areas is publicly available through multiple sources. For ease of access visit the Central Adelaide portal.
The State Government has invested millions of dollars towards redeveloping the hospital over the last 20 years, ensuring it can continue to provide both staff and patients with modern, state-of-the-art healthcare and facilities.
Stage 3 of TQEH redevelopment is underway with $314 million being invested to deliver a clinical services building in the coming years, in addition to a new multi-deck car park and upgraded cardiac catheterisation lab that were both completed in 2019.
Stage 1 of the hospital’s redevelopment included the construction of a new 200-bed inpatient facility in 2004, at a cost of $34.7 million.
Stage 2 was completed in 2008-09 and included a second inpatient building, the Basil Hetzel Research Institute and a multi-deck staff carpark, at a cost of $127 million.
Stage 2B, worth $162 million, was completed in 2013 and included a new rehabilitation building and a 20-bed older person’s mental health unit.