Aged care, retirement village and disability sectors: COVID-19 health advice
Visit the SA Government COVID-19 website for comprehensive information on the directions, restrictions and requirements that apply to business and industry operating in South Australia.
- Business and work information
- COVID Risk Mitigation Plans
- COVID-Safe Plans
- COVID Management Plans
- COVID Marshals
- Cross Border Travel Registration
Aged care restrictions and requirements in South Australia
To reduce the spread of COVID-19, the State Coordinator made a Direction under the Emergency Management Act 2004 to limit entry into residential aged care facilities in South Australia.
Read about the Emergency Management (Residential Aged Care Facilities) Direction and compliance requirements, on our Aged Care - COVID-19, which includes information on:
- Workforce (training, PPE, working across facilities)
- Management and infection control plans
- Aged care facility visitation
SA Health COVID-19 Resources
- Information for operators - COVID-19 Management in Aged Care Checklist (PDF 298KB)
- Information for residents and families - Management of COVID-19 in residential aged care facilities (PDF 218KB)
- Guideline for management of COVID-19 in residential care facilities in South Australia (PDF 255KB)
- Poster - Are you feeling unwell? (PDF 50KB)
Other aged care resources
- Aged care residents and families (Australian Government)
- Australian Government Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice for the health and aged care sector
- Australian Government Coronavirus (COVID-19) resources for health professionals, including aged care providers, pathology providers and healthcare managers
- Consumer fact sheet – It’s ok to have home care
- Palliative Care COVID-19 Resources (End-of-Life Essentials)
Retirement villages advice
The Direction under the Emergency Management Act 2004 to limit entry into residential aged care facilities does not apply to retirement villages.
However, retirement villages and residents must comply with the restrictions set out under the Emergency Management (Public Activities) (COVID-19) Direction 2020.
It is important that operators of retirement villages stay informed as directions and guidelines change due to the evolving status of COVID-19.
More information on current restrictions are available on the SA Government COVID-19 website.
Retirement village operator resources
- COVID-19 advice for retirement village operators fact sheet (201 KB)
- Advice for Retirement Villages (Australian Government)
- Information for older Australians
Visit the Collaborating 4 Inclusion website for guidelines and resources including Person-Centred Emergency Preparedness Planning for COVID-19 for people with disability.
Visit the Australian Department of Health website for information on providing disability support services including:
- Advice for disability support workers.
- Providing support to care recipients.
- Management and operational plan for people with disability.
- Online training
Disability sector resources
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice for the health, aged care and disability sector (Australian government)
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice for people with disability (Australian government)
- NDIS provider information
- Providing disability support services during COVID-19 (Australian government)
- SA COVID-19 Supported Independent Living Operational Response
Plan (DOC 239.5 KB)
Supported residential facilities
The following guidelines are intended for use within residential care facilities in South Australia.