SA Dental supports individuals to improve their oral health by providing dental care to eligible adults and all kids.
Swap sugary drinks for water
Drinking tap water instead of sugary drinks provides many benefits to our health and wellbeing.
Did you know that sugary drinks such as soft drink, cordial, fruit drink, vitamin water, sports drinks and energy drinks are:
- low in nutritional value
- often high in kilojoules which can make it harder to maintain a healthy weight
- often high in sugar and acidity levels which can contribute to tooth decay
- expensive and make it hard to shop for healthy foods when on a budget.
So only have sugary drinks occasionally and in small serves.
Watch the Swap It and Save! Ideas to save your waist video about the sugar content of popular drinks.
Plain tap water is a great choice
In South Australia, tap water is the logical choice:
- it’s cheap and convenient, coming straight out of the tap
- it contains no sugar, kilojoules or caffeine
- it usually contains fluoride, which helps strengthen bones and teeth and helps prevent dental decay.
Encourage your children to drink tap water
- most children lead active lives but often forget to drink, remind children to drink tap water every day
- send your child to kindergarten or school with a drink bottle filled with tap water, many schools and kindergartens allow children to drink water in the classroom, this is a great way to encourage children to drink water during the day
- let children see you enjoying tap water
- have jugs of tap water and cups on hand so children can help themselves, make drinking tap water more fun by adding different shaped ice cubes
- tea, coffee, sports or ‘energy’ drinks and alcohol should not be given to children
- limit fruit juice to one small glass each day with a meal
- remember cordial and soft drinks are to be consumed occasionally - not every day.
Make a dental appointment
To make a dental appointment for your child at your nearest clinic see the dental appointment request page, leave your details and we'll call you back!