TIER (Transform, Inspire, Engage and Redesign) Leadership and Management Program
The TIER Leadership and Management Program (referred to from here on as the Program) is an 12 month training program that aims to develop Nursing and Midwifery Unit Managers and those in leadership positions to build their capacity to more confidently and effectively lead and manage people and business operations within their workplaces.
The Program has been mapped to and supports the Department of Health and Wellbeing’s Leadership and Management Capability Framework and will support the individuals department in the delivery of the SA Health Strategic Plan, by building capability and capacity of the nursing and midwifery profession in the domains of leadership. The Program focuses on 2 set themes, leadership capacity and people and business management.
Intended learning outcomes for both themes are detailed below.
The TIER Leadership and Management Program is available to Public Sector nurses and midwives only.
Leading self and others.
- develop an understanding of political climates that impact health
- develop and apply strategies on fixed and growth mindsets preparing for change
- develop a greater self-awareness in communication to facilitate negotiations, productivity and performance
- demonstrate the key tenants of transformational leadership in practice
- demonstrate and apply principles of shared governance
- build and sustain a constructive, motivated and engaged workplace culture
- develop resilience in turbulent and changing health environments
- develop and apply the principles of emotional intelligence into leadership practices.
People and business management
- develop and apply strategies in the management of people with diverse personality and generation profiles
- demonstrate confidence and agility in conflict management
- effectively manage operational aspects of recruitment, retention and performance management
- demonstrate compliant staff rostering and resourcing activities to enterprise and industrial requirements
- demonstrate and apply strategies to positively influence decision makers
- understand revenue streams in health and the impact of decisions on business outcomes
- develop and apply the principles of design thinking to shape and re shape systems of operation
- develop and apply the principles of mindfulness and lean thinking into operational effectiveness
- apply business acumen and financial management principles to operational effectiveness
- understand and navigate data management systems to drive evidenced based decisions.
In addition, the program will be supported with a one week peer shadowing experience undertaken at the Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane. This experience includes shared governance intensive training.
100% attendance is required for this program.
The following dates are scheduled for the first cohort beginning in September 2020/21. Before applying, it is critical that all leave is taken around these dates.
2020/2021 study dates and commitments
- December - 10th and 11th
- February - 11th and 12th
- March - 18th and 19th
- April - 8th and 9th
- May - 13th and 14th
- June - 17th and 18th
- July - 22nd and 23rd
- August - 12th and 13th
- September - 9th and 10th
For eligibility criteria and further information about the program, please refer to the TIER Leadership and Management Fact sheet (PDF 275KB).
Contact the TIER Program Coordinator in the Nursing and Midwifery Office on (08) 8226 6333.